Friday 2 March 2007

Migration from legacy

Maxima has done well by assisting the consolidation of the computer services sector - buying up companies and putting them together.

But it's been rather open to the accusation that it's got a lot of legacy software in the mix. The kind of stuff that really isn't up to adapting to new systems - not web capable, not fully Microsoft compliant, tricky to integrate.

What's interesting is that now, Maxima seems to be migrating its 1,000 customers to Microsoft Dynamics and Sharepoint. If you like, it has a captive market for the Microsoft products.

And it's reporting a very much greater interest in Microsoft CRM, which is coming through to the sales figures.

I'm not a Microsoft fan. My relationship with Microsoft is a bit like my relationship with the National Westminster Bank. Once upon a time they had all my business; now, I've moved my savings accounts, credit card, current account, share dealing account to other banks, and I have a tiny US dollar account with NatWest. Same with Microsoft - I have XP, but the rest has gone to Mozilla, Thunderbird, Open Office, Media Jukebox.

But Microsoft is getting something very right with business software right now and I have to put my own desktop prejudices aside. Integration with Outlook is absolutely crucial, for instance, enabling businesses to tie together the CRM software and the email system. And having started in SME/SOHO, Microsoft has taken the step up to the midmarket with real credibility.

Maxima looks as if it's going to continue well. My only worry would be its manufacturing/construction bias - these aren't necessarily the most creditworthy clients right now. But then again, it does have enough clients that any one or two collapsing wouldn't do so much damage.

No comments: