Monday 27 October 2008

Blithering idiots

Can you count to 13?

One.
Two.
Three.
Four.
Five.
Six.
Seven.
Eight.
Nine.
Ten.
Eleven.
Eleven.

Er?

Well, the Inland Revenue thinks that what comes after eleven is eleven. I am just doing the workings for my self assessment tax form and there is box W11 at the bottom of page STRG 21. Then there is box W11 at the top of the next page, with the rubric: "complete boxes W12 to W14".

I can't . There is no box W12. Just another box W11.

Fortunately, on a closer reading of the form, it appears I don't need to bother with this since if higher rate tax is payable, I need to fill in boxes W15 to W22 . That isn't terribly obvious either as the rubrics are very poorly drafted.

But what amazes me is that this form could go out with such an egregious error. The tax authorities have very extensive powers over citizens, sorry, SUBJECTS (and that is another sore point, but it certainly feels like it this year), of the United Kingdom. You would expect them to be rigorous in ensuring that their computations and the documentation issued to make these computations is correct.

I have completely lost faith in this government department. I do not believe they are capable of levying fair taxes. I have no faith in their computations.

I have an accountancy training. I keep good records for my business. I used to be pretty hot on business taxation and still cover it for a number of magazines and journals. And the process of filling in my fairly simple tax form (employment, self employment, dividends and bank interest) this year has reduced me to tears and taken nearly two weeks.

And this is 'simplification;'.

Ha ha bloody ha.

No comments: