Monday 1 October 2007

another website whinge

I was reading an article today on the Times website and noticed something rather odd. Every time there is meant to be a dash, there's a question mark. I know this is something to do with character encoding - in html you need to use — or – (depending on the length of the dash) to ensure correct display.

But surely, the Times ought to be able to get this right? Don't they have any subs? Don't they have anyone with the most basic knowledge of web design?

It looks as if they are simply copying journalist's word files straight into the content management system without checking for non-html compliant characters. Silly.

On another note, time for a whinge about a PR company that today sent me a press release that didn't tell me the name of the company issuing it, and simply said 'Please read the attached'.

The only other people who do this besides PR companies are, well, spammers, and lovely people whose uncle's million pounds is looking for a home in my bank account, just as long as I give them my PIN number. Sorry, nice Financial PR people, this release went right in the bin.

No comments: